Be Your Own Tailor
These tailoring classes are perfect for those interested in learning how to do basic clothing repairs and clothing alterations on ready-made garments. Students will learn practical and useful skills to fix and alter clothing which could save money, enable a better fit and allow you to repurpose clothing items.
This is a semi-custom course where you can submit three to four things you are most interested in learning. At checkout please add these requests in the Add a note to your order section under the pink Check Out box. These items can be from the list below or you can suggest other topics that interest you. We will cover at least two requests from each person and a course outline will be sent a week before the start date. Some clothing items will be supplied for demo purposes but students are expected to bring in items that are relevant to their requests to work on.
Please note we do not cover pattern alterations, clothing creation, nor zipper related issues in this course. If you are interested in working with zippers please visit HERE. If you are interested in sewing your own clothing visit our Clothing Classes page.
Some Examples Of Tailoring Class Topics:
- Basic clothing repairs and clothing alterations
- Hem pants, skirts or skirts
- Sew on a button
- Weight loss wardrobe adjustment
- Weight gain wardrobe adjustment
- Take in or let out clothing
- Repair basic tears in clothing
- Shorten tank top straps
- Make ruffles and box pleats
- Do basic hand sewing techniques
- Adjust the tension on sewing machines
- Introduction to some basic sewing tools
- Work with adding or fixing elastic in clothing
- Basic fashion design and clothing design tips
- At least a few repaired garments
- List of over 50 local fabric stores
- Handouts on various kinds of sewing needles and when to use them
Course Cost: $135. Feel free to bring your own sewing machine or borrow one from the studio for a onetime $5 fee.
Prerequisite: Sewing 100 or equivalent experience