Sewing Patterns 101
Whether you've recently completed our Sewing 100 Course or are coming in with previous sewing experience this dynamic introductory sewing patterns course is great for those who want to learn to work with store bought patterns! This course will provide a solid foundation with reading and cutting sewing patterns as well as understanding the terminology and symbols used.
By utilizing Simplicity and McCall’s sewing patterns students will have a choice of six different accessory or craft projects to sew. Projects range from knitting needle and crochet hook cases to aprons to handbags to ties and more! In addition to learning to sew with store bought patterns, students will learn how to work with bias tape, padding, elastic and magnetic snaps. With several patterns to choose from you can take this beginner sewing patterns course over and over to gain more confidence and try working with different patterns.
Goals Of This Beginner Sewing Patterns Course:
- Learn how to select store bought patterns
- Learn to sew store bought patterns
- Discuss language, symbols and how to read sewing patterns
- Learn about the grain of the fabric and technique for cutting sewing patterns
- Discuss symbols and shapes on patterns in relation to putting pattern pieces together
- Learn about different types of fabric that would be best for your projects
- Discuss thread, needles and pins in relation to your project and fabric
- Learn to work with bias tape, padding, elastic and magnetic snaps
- Will learn several tips that will make the whole sewing process much easier
- A pattern
- Project to take home
- List of sewing terminology
- List of over 50 local fabric stores
- Information and visuals regarding different needles and when to use them
- General information on basic sewing supplies and sewing machines
Class Cost: $160 + $14 supply fee brought to the first class is applied toward sewing tools, pattern, thread and use of tracing paper and wheels if needed. It does not cover the cost of fabric or notions. In our first class we will discuss what fabric you will need to bring to your second class. Feel free to bring your own sewing machine or borrow one from the studio for a onetime $10 fee.
Depending on the pattern you choose there may be some out of class work needed.
Prerequisite: Sewing 100 or equivalent experience